Friday, February 14, 2020

Child Support for Your Family: What Can You Do?

Child support is an essential tool needed to raise a child as a single parent, right? Everyone has a different situation, but when two parents divorce and one parent is expected to pay child support to the other parent who spends the most time with the child, typically that money is very relied on. What do you do if that money stops showing up in your account all of a sudden? Our child support attorneys at the Lake of the Ozarks are here to give you a few tips for keeping your child support coming in smoothly on a regular basis. For help with matters regarding child support in Missouri, call Gibbons Law Firm today for your free consultation at (573) 348-2211.

Points To Be Aware Of When It Comes To Child Support

What To Do...

When You Stop Receiving Child Support Payments Suddenly
When child support is court-ordered, that typically doesn't change. That being said, the income one receives from their job is taken into account when the child support amount is calculated and if the payer of child support loses their job, that may constitute a SHORT stop in them having to pay. However, you still need to petition the court and get the child support your child deserves.

If You Never Received The Payments in the First Place
Don't panic! If your ex isn't paying you child support that he or she is legally required to do, you do have legal options. According to the Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984, you can seek the help of the district attorney in this case. Typically, your ex will be served with papers saying they must pay or jail time may be enforced, but this is a last resort. Garnishing wages, withholding tax refunds, suspension of occupation license or business license, revoking of the driver's license, and property seizing may be enforced in cases like this. The point here is your child is your responsibility, child support needs to be paid one way or another.

If Your Co-Parent Who Has Been Paying Child Support Loses Their Job
Again, you still need to petition the court if this happens. They are still responsible for paying child support. Yes, they may possibly get a short break in paying child support while they try to get another job, but they still need to get it paid.

Child Support Lawyers at the Lake of the Ozarks

Gibbons Law Firm assists clients with all types of family law cases, including child support. We are committed to providing the legal counseling and advice that clients need in these types of cases. Find out more about how we can assist you by contacting our Firm and making an appointment today for your free consultation. Family Law Family law deals with issues arising from marriage and other domestic relationships. Divorce is hard for everyone, but no single parent should have to support their child all by themselves, if the child has two parents, they have two people who are responsible for them. To learn more about child support in Missouri, please call Gibbons Law Firm today. We can be reached at the phone number listed below and you can also follow us on our social media channels listed below to stay up to date on our latest announcements and legal tips.

Remember, your initial consultation with Gibbons Law Firm is always free.

Your Trusted Legal Resource

Gibbons Law Firm
2820 Bagnell Dam Blvd, Suite B4
Lake Ozark, MO 65049

(573) 348-2211

Follow us on...

No comments:

Post a Comment