Do you know people who are divorced with children? The odds are you do. The divorce rate is still about 50%. Have you ever thought about what it took for child custody to be awarded to the parents? This is SO important to keep top of mind if you are ever considering divorce and you have children. Our divorce lawyers at the Lake of the Ozarks are here to give you a few factors that are considered when awarding child custody. If you need to speak with an experienced Mid-Missouri divorce attorney, please call Gibbons Law Firm today. Your first consultation is free. We can be reached at 573-348-2211.
Factors That Are Considered When Awarding Child Custody
When it comes to child custody cases in Missouri, the court has to look at what's in the best interest of the children. Many factors can play into that. Here are a few that may be considered:
FAIR SHARING OF TIME WITH THE CHILD
Which parent is more likely to allow the child frequent, continuing and meaningful contact with the other parent.
THE CHILD'S WISHES
- The child’s adjustment to the child’s home, school, and community.
- The needs of the child for a frequent, continuing and meaningful relationship with both parents and the ability and willingness of parents to actively perform their functions as mother and father for the needs of the child.
THE MENTAL STABILITY OF THE PARENTS
- The mental and physical health of all individuals involved, including any history of abuse of any individuals involved.
- Possible drug addiction from the past may be looked into.
- Any DWIs that may be on the parent's record may also be taken into account.
PROVIDING A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR THE CHILD
- The intention of either parent to relocate the principal residence of the child.
- The interaction and interrelationship of the child with parents, siblings, and any other person may significantly affect the child’s best interests.
- Having a steady job to provide for the child.
- Having a home in a safe neighborhood for the child to reside in.
- Participating and being present on a regular basis for your child's extracurricular activities, such as ball games, music recitals, school plays, etc.
Do You Need An EXPERIENCED Divorce Lawyer Fighting For Your Child Custody?
Divorce is tough on everyone. Just stay focused on the task at hand and don't be afraid to lean on your divorce attorney to be your guide through this emotional time. Any case that involves child custody can be truly trying and dramatic for everyone involved but you CAN get through it. Our divorce attorneys are here to help you any way we can. For more information on our family law practice, please visit our website at www.RGibbonsLawFirm.com. Be sure to follow us on our social media channels to stay up to date on our latest legal tips and announcements.
Remember, your initial consultation with Gibbons Law Firm is always free.